[ aquapark | fountains | galleries | sports hall | hippodrome | cinemas and theaters | lighthouse | pier | forest opera | park ]
[ forest stadium | walking trails | main street | sailing club | tennis courts | beach | ski lift ]
[ groceries | souvenirs | hardware | clothes | sports | toys | gift shops | computers - electronics ]
[ first records of Sopot | beginning of Sopot | nineteenth century Sopot | Sopot before Second World War | Postwar Sopot ]
[ Sopot medieval castle | museum of Sopot | monuments | architecture | modern Sopot ]
[ horse racing | swimming pools | sailing | winter sports | sport events | tennis | equipment rental ]
[ Sopot Wyscigi | Sopot Karlikowo | Sopot Kamienny Potok | Sopot Brodwino | Upper Sopot | Downtown | Map of Sopot ]
[ Sopot festival | New Year concert | choral festival | festival of theater, radio and television | jazz festival ]
One of the most important sites is the ruins of a medieval castle, is one of the most notable treasures of history and is very well preserved. It is located on hills next to Haffner Street , 400 m from the beach, which were formed during the last Ice Age. It is surrounded by steep cliffs and deep valleys with streams. It was defended from the west by a moat and dike in the shape of a horse shoe. No moat was detected from the sea site; most likely a swampy bank existed during this time making it impossible to attack from sea.
The first archaeological survey was done by German archaeologist H. Conwentz in 1885. Because of his efforts, the site was bought from the city and declared as a protected area. The next excavations were done by W. La Baume in 1934 and were sponsored by the Museum of Natural Science and Archaeology in Gdansk . All antiques and documentation were lost during WW II. After the war, it wasn't until 1961 when first excavation was done again. From 1961 - 1966 a major excavation was sponsored by the Archaeological Museum in Gdansk and carried out by A. Lukowa and A. Szymanska. Later in 1995-1966 and in 1999 more work has been done to uncover the town's history under the guidance of A. Szymanska. During the excavation, the most significant part of the dike and main living area was explored. It has been discovered that two phases of settlement existed. From the 8th to the mid 19 th century, a small open settlement was established, and later it was transferred to a medieval castle surrounded by a defensive wooden and mud dike with heavy stones for extra support. On the top of the dike the remains of a burnt wooden construct was found, which served as a defensive reinforcement. They were most likely the remains of a defensive tower, whose role it was to control and observe the sea shore. Its existence lasted until the construction of the medieval castle in Gdansk in the 10th century before the Piast era, when the family of the first Piast king ruled Poland . During it short existence the settlement was razed three times and rebuilt until it was finally abandoned or destroyed in around the 10th century. Because of the discovery of the main gate, which was supported by stone wall and homes, some mainly wood homes were partially buried in the ground next to dike, and the layout of the settlement was accurately reconstructed.